I’m now well on my way into my commitment for a healthier and chemical-free world! Almost everything that I am using on my body is now homemade — woo! My hair care is totally natural, my skin care routine is completely natural, and I am slowly working my way into the world of homemade makeup. Yeah, I said it, HOMEMADE MAKEUP. Most of you reading are probably thinking I’m slathering on some clay and gooping poo onto my eyelashes, but it’s way more awesome than you’d think! I’ll be creating my own foundation, bronzer, blush, eyeshadow, eyeliner, mascara, and even lip gloss!! All of the amenities that I’m using now, but now they won’t harbor any chemicals and won’t cost an eyeball and your upper lip. Unfortunately, nail polish is not so easy as paint is not exactly chemical free… but hey! If nail polish is the only thing that I am not going to be giving up out of all of the products I use, I’m on the right track.
“Sometimes the smallest step in the right direction ends up being the biggest step of your life. Tip toe if you must, but take the step.”
This blog is now becoming my getaway, my brain break. It’s really wonderful to have somewhere to talk about things I’m passionate about. I love, love, love making things! Creativity is my drug. Being able to create something better than it would be from the store is just a really awesome feeling. The goal is to always work towards full self-sustainability. I type this as I drink my diet coke…it’s a slow process, People! The greatest things did not just happen at the drop of a dime. Every time you eat a delicious meal, especially those stews where everything just falls apart in your mouth in pure decadence, just remember it didn’t come to fruition like they wrap it up at Mickey D’s; it was carefully put together through a medley of flavors and it took time to have all of them dance into perfection. My journey to a healthy life is my magnum opus, y’all. (This is my last case of diet coke and I’ll be donating all my unused products to charity.)
“Good things take time. Great things take a long time. And the best things take the longest time.”
Anyways, so let’s see… It’s been almost a week since I started down this new and exciting path. (Now that may not sound very long, but “they” say that it takes 21 days to form a habit, which means I am a third of the way to changing my life forever!) Let’s go down the list of things I have given up buying manufactured from the store:
- Shampoo & Conditioner: I now use a baking soda solution and an apple cider vinegar solution with some lavender oil to counter the vinegar smell, also, lavender oil has many hair health benefits.
Step 1: Baking Soda – Cover your scalp while staying away from your ends, this is the cleanser for your hair.
Step 2: Apple Cider Vinegar – Cover all of your hair, this is the conditioner. Apple Cider Vinegar closes the hair shaft to protect it.
Baking Soda Solution: I just throw a bunch of baking soda into a bottle. I have oily hair so I need more baking soda for the oil. For application, at first I tried it in a regular bottle and just poured it out, but I felt like I was wasting a lot. Then I tried a spray bottle…pretty sure the baking soda clogged the nozzle, so I took a regular plastic bottle cap that fit my existing bottle, punched some holes in it with a small nail and a hammer, and screwed it on the bottle to make it into a small watering can for my head to conserve the solution.
Apple Cider Vinegar Solution: Spray bottle is the way to go! Prevents waste and keeps it from absorbing into your skin.
IMPORTANT NOTE: Shave AFTER you use the vinegar rinse. If you don’t, there will be a lovely burning sensation where you have already shaved. Use with caution…
- Body Wash: I used almond castille soap and sweet orange essential oil for the recipe. Oh my goodness, I smell amazing!
- Deodorant: Can’t remember if I added any essential oils, but if I did it was probably sweet orange. I just can’t get enough of it.
- Toothpaste: I definitely used the xylitol for a sweetener (it would have been atrocious) and her favorite, peppermint and sweet orange, for my essential oils.
- Facial Cleanser: one part olive oil to two parts castor oil
- Facial Scrub: I use her basic recipe with sweet orange essential oil. My mom loves sweet orange plus lavender.
- Facial Toner/Astringent: I am loving my witch hazel. It’s linked in my first post.
- Mouthwash: Coconut oil pulling! I know it sounds like a fad, but it’s totally awesome. My mouth feels fresher and moisturized. I fight dry mouth due to allergy mediction…also, my family is now blessed with 15-20 minutes of silence from me at least once or twice a week. Just put a couple tablespoons of coconut oil in your mouth, chew it until it melts (if it’s in solid form), and swish it around. I love it.
- Lip Chap: I added the extra beeswax and some peppermint essential oil to get a Burt’s Bees feel.
- Hair Spray & Beachy Waves Spray: Two successful natural recipes. They hairspray isn’t sticky, has a great hold, and the beachy waves spray does exactly that — give you fresh off the beach waves.
I have the tools to create my homemade makeup on its way! I’ll update you soon and let you know how finding fulfillment is treating me.
“True happiness is a state of fulfillment.”– Ashish Sophat